There is a lot of talking (and a lot of blogging) about the demise of Flash and the rise of HTML5 in banner ad creation. Along with it has been a lot of coverage on the emergence of new Flash to HTML5 tools for conversion. Google’s Swiffy converting flash is such tool that is already being recognized on the digital landscape when it comes to creating HTML5 banners.
Google’s Swiffy shows promise, but has flaws
But while the promise is there, Swiffy might not be the savior that agencies and designers can count on. There are several unfortunate drawbacks with Swiffy that make it an unreliable option at the present time:
- Swiffy often increases the file weight of the final .zip file (which designers need to avoid to optimize banner load times and performance)
- Swiffy doesn’t support all ActionScript 2 and 3 functionality
- The Swiffy HTML output cannot be easily edited, unlike the results Adobe’s CreateJS Toolkit
- Some graphic ghosting might remain when going from one screen to another
- Swiffy-converted files might be slightly less responsive than their Flash versions
- Swiffy animations are limited and can be choppy on mobile devices
These drawbacks could change sooner than later since Swiffy is being updated each and every month, but for now the limitations make it unreliable when it comes to obtaining the best results.
In short, Google’s Swiffy is a great example of how far the web platform has come, especially in the form of aiding HTML5 banner creation. However, it is not recommended as the most reliable option. When it comes to optimal animation—especially on mobile—it simply can’t be counted on.
At Digitaland we excel and HTML5 banner creation and look forward to sharing more tips and tricks to help the ongoing transition easier for agencies, designers and brands. How can we help you?
One Reply to this post
Recently Google announced they are shutting down Swiffy on July 1st. Fortunately there is a new tool, FlaExporter, for publishing faster, smaller HTML5 directly from Adobe Animate or Adobe Flash. It has an option to auto-optimize during publish that typically results in files that are 60-80% smaller. Some key features —
* Blazing fast mobile and desktop web performance (60 FPS)
* No .fla restructuring required
* Reduce file sizes 2-10X
* Use advanced features like mask layers, blend modes, and timeline ActionScript
Download for free!